(Remembering our friend, Eugene, who is catching walleye in heaven.)
July 21, 2021
We are covering many things in this update! It is long! We will also post this to our home page as a PDF if you need to print it. Please call us or email with any questions!
We still are in shock the US/Canada Border is opening August 9th! We are excited and busy confirming bookings, taking new bookings, and preparing to open the lodge. Opening our lodge is a huge and expensive undertaking. We do ask for your patience as our cabins and equipment has not been used in nearly two years. We will have many repairs and we may have some mice that think they own the place. We will do our absolute best to get things clean and in working order and ask for your patience if things are not perfect. If you encounter anything out of the ordinary during your stay, please let us know right away so we can fix the issue. If you don’t let us know, we cannot fix it. We will also be noticeably short staffed compared to our normal season. Please bear with us. We know this seems like a lot of rules but we are here to help you thru them. The fishing will be incredible once you arrive! We are so excited for the opportunity to do what we love again and look forward to seeing everyone this fall and in 2022.
BORDER CROSSING RULES:
Please call us if you have any questions on the requirements.
As of today, there is no special requirement to return to the USA as long as you have your US Passport. The US border is only closed to Canadians.
Be prepared to wear a mask when you pull up to the customs booth and at all times if you have to enter the customs building.
Canada link to official announcement – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-announces-easing-of-border-measures-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers.html?fbclid=IwAR2SFN9XK_UdGNYcwREcL4qEYWV4cTuU_7l-0jiJtXyVXGG2YW2F6VX90Iw
– Must use the ArriveCAN app or web portal – all data must be provided electronically AND we suggest taking paper copies of all relevant document with you
– You must have received the COVID vaccine within 14 days of travel
– You must be asymptomatic at the time of travel
– You must have proof of a negative COVID molecular test within 72 hours of entry – we are hearing that Walgreen’s can do a 24 hour turn around time so please check with your local store.
These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:
• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
• RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
• Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
• Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
• Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
• Isothermal amplification
• Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
• Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
• RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
• Ct (cycle threshold)
• Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
• Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
• Detection of the N gene
• Detection of Orf1a/b
• Detection of the S gene
• Detection of the E gene
• Detection of the RdRp gene
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result.
– You may be randomly selected for a quick test at the border
– You must have a quarantine plan in the event you are selected for the random test and test positive – you can put that you will quarantine at Manotak OR you can put that you would choose to voluntarily leave Canada and return to the US
– A person who submits false information on vaccination status could be liable to a fine of up to $750,000 or six months imprisonment or both, under the Quarantine Act, or prosecution under the Criminal Code for forgery. Violating any quarantine or isolation instructions provided to travellers by a screening officer or quarantine officer when entering Canada is also an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to a $5,000 fine for each day of non-compliance or for each offence committed, or more serious penalties, including six months in prison and/or $750,000 in fines. Non-compliant air travellers may also be subject to fines of up to $5,000 for each offence committed under the Aeronautics Act.
THE APP OR WEBSITE SHOULD PROMPT YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO CROSS. TAKE PAPER COPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTS AS BACKUP. CALL US WITH QUESTIONS 800-541-3431.
Check in is 3PM – PLEASE do not arrive early. We will be busy cleaning cabins and boats from the prior week and need this time to do it properly. No services will be available until 3PM.
Check out is 8AM – Please make sure you take your personal belongings (phone chargers!) with you. It is expensive to ship forgotten items to the US. If you have a late flight, please let us know and we will stow your belongings and you may hang out in the Lodge until you need to leave for the airport.
Dinner Time – Dinner will be at 5PM so you will have time to fish the evening bite before it gets dark.
Breakfast Time – Breakfast will be at your leisure between 7-8AM
PAYMENT ON ACCOUNT:
Please bring cash if you can. We will still accept all forms of payment listed on our website.
PAYMENT TO GUIDES:
NEW! We will be asking you to pay the guides USD cash directly at the end of your guiding day or guiding period. Please provide a gratuity. We know our guides are excellent and do their best to get you on fish. The guides are subcontractors and not employees of Manotak so paying directly keeps the funds from going through our books.
ALL camp boats MUST BE IN BEFORE SUNSET. It is dangerous and illegal to operate a boat after sunset. We will go over safety rules with you when you check in.
DOCK SERVICE AND FISH CLEANING:
For the week of August 14th, we will have limited to no dock service. We will still be around to gas your boat and get you bait (bait is NOT self-serve). We will not have time to clean many fish, if any. COME PREPARED TO CLEAN YOUR OWN FISH. We will be continuing to get camp ready to fully open.
For the remaining weeks of August 21 – Sept 18:
We will do our best to have our normal, dock service levels. We will be gassing boats in the morning. If you leave before 6AM be sure you have us top you up the night before or come back in for a top up. You are responsible to monitor your fuel level in the boat. WE WILL NOT BE CLEANING FISH AFTER 5PM. We just don’t have the staffing. You are welcome to clean your own after 5pm as long as you clean up after yourself. ABSOLUTELY NO WALLEYE OVER 18” AND NO PIKE OVER 29’”. If you don’t know the limits and rules, please ask.
Canada no longer allows ANY LIVE OR DEAD bait to be brought into the country.
We will do our best to have bait. This late in the season is not usually a leach bite and we know leaches may be hard to come by. We will have minnows and worms. These fish should be so hungry they will bite a bare hook!
Please plan to purchase your license this year BEFORE you leave the US. We will still sell them if you forget or have an issue, but we will be stretched very thin. Buying before you come will really help us out. We offer this as a service and will continue to do so in 2022 but we make no money from selling licenses.
NW Ontario is under extreme fire conditions and fires are not permitted. There are over 170 fires burning as I write this in NW Ontario and Red Lake has been told to prepare to evacuate. These fires are not a threat to Manotak. We will be taking every precaution regarding fires and will not send shore lunch kits with you in the boats. We know you love your shore lunches, but it is simply too dangerous to even allow propane cookers on shore. You will be allowed to use a propane cooker at the lodge, but you must have a fire extinguisher at the ready at all times. Charcoal grills can be used but we ask that you cook on the gravel. We are financially responsible if someone at our lodge were to start a forest fire. You are responsible as well and the fines are steep.
COMPLIANCE WITH LOCAL COVID RULES:
– We will be adhering to local COVID rules.
– We will follow all COVID cleaning protocols.
– Masking and social distancing is still required in Ontario
DUTCHIE’S GENERAL STORE:
Dutchie’s is our local convenience store for groceries, alcohol and souvenirs. We personally know the owners and we support local. All the big box stores made out like crazy while us small businesses were left to fend for ourselves. We support Dutchie’s and we hope you will also.
Dutchie’s can have your grocery shopping finished before you arrive! You can also pre-order your beer and liquor with a 2 week notice. Go to the web page https://dutchiesgeneralstore.com/order/ OR email them with what you need – email@example.com
THE WHISKEY JACK RESTAURANT AND TAVERN:
We love our friends Graham and Laura, owners of The Whiskey Jack Restaurant and Tavern! Stop in and see them if you arrive before check-in time for a drink, snack, or a full meal. We have pretty much had everything on the menu, and it is all wonderful! Enjoy the historic memorabilia in uptown Perrault Falls!
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO WELCOME YOU BACK TO MANOTAK
CALL US WITH QUESTIONS OR EMAIL!